Let Freedom Reign!
This is always an interesting time… so much partying around July 4th in the US, and this year found me in a reflective space. Maybe its all that’s happening in our world and that the word FREEDOM is so often on my client’s minds as well, I’m not really sure. We know that Freedom means many different things to each of us. One person may focus on money, another time, another the ability to be with their kids, or who to love, and how to dress…and yes, those are important but truthfully each day we have the opportunity to flex our Freedom muscles. When I was a kid, Freedom meant not having to make my bed or go to school and eating ice cream at every meal. I longed for the days when I could make those choices for myself. Can you relate? Last night at dinner I sat next to a guy who complained that all he did was work, eat, hit the bars and go to sleep only to do it again the next day. He was aggravated that his life was so predictable, but didn’t seem too interested in changing that story. Yet, he clearly seemed quite able to if he chose something else. Was he exercising his Freedom muscle? Didn’t sound like it. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending my nephew’s Bar Mitzvah. Its where this topic began simmering for me. After all, as I sat in the synagogue I could not help notice how peaceful it was. The beauty of the stained glass, the carefully covered torahs with their own needlepoint wrappings, the proud singing of the congregation. How different from our ancestors or others around the world who have to hide their beliefs. We infrequently recall or express gratitude for all those who gave so that we could be ‘free’. Free to gather, free to pause and reflect, free to eat from an elaborate buffet afterwards. My nephew even had the freedom to choose to donate a portion of his gifts to those less fortunate. Everything I experienced gave me a sense of multiple options, leaving me to feel so grateful for all the choices I am able to make each day. From when and where to wake up, what to eat, where to go and whom to associate with to name only a small portion, there are freedoms being expressed everywhere.I challenge you today to take the time to notice and consciously Define what FREEDOM means to you. Want to get started right now? Here’s how:
- Wake up and notice where you sleep and what you’ve chosen as your surroundings. Notice all you have chosen to surround yourself with. Don’t like something, then change it.
- Have your meals through the day as consciously as possible. Notice if you’re choosing because you CAN or because its easy, or for another reason. Be aware and choose.
- As you work, choose to bring your best self or whatever attitude You decide upon. For instance, if something is making you angry at home, you choose if you’ll bring it into your work life.
- Before you go to sleep, consciously notice what went well that day. Focus on what’s working, and you will Feel more freedom watch day. It can be small or large, as they all add up to a successful life filled with Freedom and as importantly Fulfillment.
- As a business owner take the time to Design your freedoms. What you offer, how much time you take off if any, feel into the choices you make rather than being a victim of them. A designed life IS freedom. We even have the freedom to work 100 hour weeks if we see fit.