WTH? Biz Owners Wonder…
Recently I heard a phrase that made me snicker and nod YES! at the same time. So many of us who are entrepreneurs creating something ‘new’ have multiple moments (sometimes in one day) when we wonder what the heck we are doing and IF we’re on the right track in any way, shape or form. Simply stated: We get stuck. We worry. We freak out!
After working with hundreds and hundreds of people I see the same thing. When this happens most of us begin speaking to ourselves in a particular way. Our self talk takes a turn to the negative. Thoughts like:
Maybe I’m crazy, or
Oh No! What if this doesn’t work?
Should I really just go get a job?
Am I letting my family down? Or myself?
What was I thinking anyway?
I’m SO tired, can I make it to the success I always envision?
Although there are lots of joys to being an entrepreneur, being stuck isn’t fun in the least. All these unanswered questions! And these are only the tip of the iceberg. I know I can really spiral when this doubt creeps in.
Entrepreneurs as a bunch are such brave, creative and high achieving souls, so when we go dark we can get really into it can’t we? And with that spiral comes a lot of negativity and non-constructive behavior.
“An exclamation point is simply a question mark that’s been straightened out.”
Yup, that’s the silly phrase I heard that had me snicker… and then I thought: Well, yes! That is what happens!
When we have a question our brain will go to work to figure it out. We become tuned in so that our frequency can identify solutions.
In many ways I have an advantage because I speak to so many entrepreneurs that I its much easier to identify trends that previously I had thought were ‘only me’ issues. Not true! There are a huge plethora of thoughts that most of us have at some point.
So, how do we keep going when we are feeling stuck, overwhelmed and far far away from capable of creating the vision you’ve held for the longest time?
Let me share a few tips to get you started:
- KNOW in your heart of hearts that this vision IS for you… it was delivered to you and YOU are the one to bring it to life.
- UNDERSTAND that every issue challenge and problem you have encountered can be solved… and again, it is YOUR unique way of viewing the world that will allow it to be solved in the most effective way. Use your creative skills to do so, get weird to get the best responses!
- PLAY more. Yes, that’s right. The more tired you are, the more strung out and scared you are, the more you need to play and have FUN! Taking life too seriously brings our vibration down and limits our ability to SEE solutions. When we shift our focus to play we then have the white space needed for our computer (brain) to tap into options. Its like loading in the right software 🙂
- ASK the Universe to help you. Yes, I know this sounds weird and w00-woo, but truly when we ask in multiple ways: What will it take to _________________ (fill in the blank with what you are asking for). Create a list of these as needed… repeat often during the day to yourself. Make notes and post around your home/office… sprinkle them everywhere! We are now helping the aforementioned software to tune in to answers.
- RELAX. What I mean is that this may take more than an hour, day or month. Give yourself a break! Remember the more freaked out we are, the longer it takes. Use meditation, play, movement, (dance or exercise or both) and the phrases created above.
Look, you may be thinking that you’ve heard all this before but please have a look the next time you go into crazy town in your head. We hear so much about habits these days, yet when was the last time you tried something different when you hit a wall at work?
Its time to lighten up, let go and live large! Thinking BIG is a great way to live, and it comes with responsibility. The challenge of making those dreams real. Don’t give up!! Keep going and get the support you need to make the dreams come true. Start today, the world needs what You have to give!
If you’re ready to schedule your very own Brand Audit to grow your presence and power within, just reply YES, I’m ready to this note.
Stay your Unforgettable self!,
Branding Specialist and Strategic Planner, J. Winslow brings decades of solid experience to each project and leader she interacts with. Clients range from non-profits such as the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, to Madison Avenue Biggies including: Women’s Day Magazine, Cover Girl and Elizabeth Taylor. She also enjoys working with TEDx speakers and students ready to leverage their own brand stories.